Sunday 3 August 2008

A bit of history

So don't think I've been doing youth work for my whole life and then suddenly sat up and decided I wanted to be a journalist. No, no, no. If you would read the sidebar 'About me' (over there -->) you'd see that I've written articles, features and film reviews for several publications, and now classify myself as a freelance writer.

I think freelance is quite vague, but sounds pretty good. I think I'm justified in saying that I'm a freelancer: I have been paid by several publishing companies for my work. But I am also looking for a full-time job.

I'm only 24, I want to have a proper job that I enjoy, and I don't reckon that many people my age are successful and full time freelancers. You have to have contacts for that... or so I'm told. A couple of weeks ago, I temporarily came out of my stupor where all I did was surf the net all day looking at various job boards and company vacancy pages over and over again, and I decided to actively pursue a freelance career.

So... I spent a couple of days researching who the features editors were at various magazines and put together a selection of pitches for them. I sent emails to different categories of magazines: film, bridal, general culture, men's and women's. In total I sent about 54 emails, each outlining multiple feature ideas and some background about me. And I've had a response from exactly 14 responses. One of them was very brusque, and I quote: "Sorry - ideas not for us. Kindest regards," and she didn't even sign her name, just left her digital signature to sign off. Nice.

A couple of people have expressed an interest in one or two of my features, and said they would get back to me. And two or three have said that I should try pitching again with slightly altered ideas. So I have, and we will see.

But overall, I felt a bit annoyed. People in this industry don't seem so nice. As if they haven't got time for you.

But, back to the history. So I have worked at various places before, but none of my contacts are very helpful. There don't seem to be any jobs out there.

No comments: