Wednesday 6 August 2008

The time it takes to cook rice

I have just left the rice to simmer. I tend to follow instructions on packets of things because that way they usually turn out well.

So I have 12 minutes out of the 15-minute allotment (which has gone down to 11 minutes because I had to Google-check the spelling of allotment, which I spelt right first time, by the way).

So. I actually received a reply from the 'height of rudeness' employers. In fact, they want to offer me the job (a-woohoo). On the other hand, for some reason they are not able to hire anyone new for two weeks (hmmm). Strange as it may seem, it works out well for me because I have my summer holiday coming up next week, so the timing's just right. Unless they bail on me in the end. Then I can add this episode to my list of bad job luck. Fingers crossed (for the first option)!

Now, the rice is almost done. Sadly, it will be making up the entirety of my supper. It's the NINE DAYS a terribly annoying section of the Jewish calendar where we can't eat meat, listen to music, go swimming, and did I mention eat meat? And, to make matters worse chicken is included. And even worse, we haven't got any fish because I am a rubbish wife and have just sat around all day applying for jobs when I could have bought some fish for supper.

So my husband has begrudgingly decided to have a toasted sandwich, leaving me to make some rice.

I just took it off the fire. Perfect consistency I'll have you know. Problem is that rice is a bit plain. So I decided to flavour it with some delicate spices: cumin, garlic powder and pepper. Sadly it was too subtle and I couldn't taste anything, so I just lobbed a whole load of soy sauce in and it's now yummy.

Bon Appetit to me!

No comments: