Monday 4 August 2008

The height of rudeness

First, let me preface this post with a TV review. Unorthodox perhaps, but relevant.

Flight of the Conchords is one of the funniest and cleverest shows around at the moment. It's about these two New Zealand guys, trying to make it as a band in New York. They pretty much have no idea what they're doing. It's an Office-type mockumentary style show, but they intersperse the scenes with the band's songs, which are hilarious mockups of musical genres. I watched a couple of episides with my friends the other night and it was one where the duo get mugged and one of them, Bret, leaves his pal Jemaine stuck on a fence while he runs off. Later, discussing the abandonment, Jemaine describes it as the height of rudeness, a curiously posh understatement.



Anyway, you should watch that.

My personal story about the height of rudeness concerns, you guessed it, the j-o-b-h-u-n-t. I had an interview last wednesday for a job I was really interested in. It sounded great and it seemed like the sort of work environment I would fit in well with. They told me they would get back to me by Friday, but I don't mind that they haven't yet (although I do think that as a rule, companies should stick to what they say in terms of feedback, it presents a bad image otherwise). However, while having a look at the Guardian jobsite, I saw the exact same job advertised again - posted on Thursday, the day after my interview. At least they could've told me that I hadn't got the job. It's the height of rudeness!

Actually, I do have another story reeking with rudeness... It also revolves around job feedback. I managed to secure an interview with a really big, prestigious internet company, and was invited to an interview day. Crazily, the interview was in Slough, an arduous journey from my nice NW London abode. Taking the train would mean I'd need to travel into central London and then get another train back out westwards. So I drove. Traffic meant it took me over an hour and a half to get there, and about the same to get home.

Once there, myself and about eight other interviewees were subjected to four interviews and an hour-long test. The day lasted from 9-4.30. During introductions we were told that the company preferred to do it this way so that they can see all candidates in one day and then give us the feedback by the following day.

Well, guess what, that was about a month ago and I STILL haven't received a response! I mean, I'm assuming that I didn't get the job there, it's not like I'm still wondering, but they never got back to me, despite several emails and phonecalls from me.

Some people...

No comments: